Saturday, April 10, 2010

Y-kids measure up! Healthy Kids Day


Three years ago I was blessed to be hired at the YMCA. Not just any YMCA, the one that I grew up at. As a kid the Y was within walking distance and we would go swimming, play in the gym and racquetball courts and just hang out. It kept us out of trouble as well as giving a a great place to have fun (and get exercise only we didn't view it that way.)

As a 3rd generation Y employee (my grandparents worked there, my parents worked there and now I) I love the how the Y encourages kids to put some "play in their day." In this day and age of video games, encouraging active play is really necessary sometimes. I love being a part of that, and love the fact I can bring my kids to work with me and share a place that was so special to me growing up (and still is.)

April 17 is Healthy Kids Day at the Galowich YMCA there will be activities, special guests, prizes and a ton of fun stuff. This year I got to at a bit of my "love of crafting" to the festivities decorating Fiskars rulers. (200 to be exact) With tags that say "Y kids really measure up!" I worked on them while manning the front desk and the k-kids from Kidz Zone thought they were "Soooo Cool" ;) So if you are in the area, come join us for the free event.

For more information on the YMCA go to JOLIET YMCA

No comments:

Post a Comment